Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Part 2 - What is American Art?

             So now that you know a little bit about the history of American art and have been reminded of some famous American artists, lets talk about what is considered American art today and why it is not as well known as European art.
            In my last post I talked about the Advancing American Art exhibition and how it’s abstract style caused controversy throughout America. I think part of the reason that this show did not sit well with Americans is that the artists that were part of the show were cutting-edge artists. Not to mention that some were Communist-sympathizers during the time of McCarthyism. But, that is beside the point. I think this illustrates a big problem that often happens in the art world. Artists and the art world are often a few decades ahead of the people. It is the same old story. Van Gogh, one of the most renowned artists today, struggled to survive on an artist’s salary. It is rumored that he only sold one painting in his lifetime. This is a story that we hear over and over again.
            And now to the point. A definition for American art.
I think the first and most important aspect in American art is the representation of our history, where we come from and our fight to be where we are today. We are a nation of people who are proud of their heritage. I think this will vary regionally. For example, here in Oklahoma, Native American art is very prevalent. This is reflected in the types of museum’s that we have as well.
            Another aspect of American art is the exploration of the world around us. I think we are interested in our world and we want to capture what it looks like in a painting and preserve it forever.  I think that is why American landscapes are so common. An example of this is the group of American painters known as the Hudson River School. They loved to paint the wilds of the American landscape and the beauty that it held. America was a land that held opportunities and exploration. Even today we still have pride in our ancestors adventurism. That shows in our art work.
            I think these are just two aspects of many that define American art. But my goal was not just to create a definition but to get you thinking. So, what do you think of when you think of American art?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I can define what 'American' art is-- because are we going by art in museums ( I.E. Thomas Moran and Fredric Remington come to mind) it seems like I see a lot more crying cowboys than current depictions of Americans hanging in museums. Wether this is a symptom of the medium or not (painting styles have changed) I'm not educated to determine.
    Do you think films qualify as American art? I'm not sure myself where I stand on it. We have, in many ways, taken the medium and run away with it, making it our own more so than any other medium I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ame, you bring up a great point.

    In a classical sense, I don't think that movies would be considered art. (I'm going with the Hollywood stereotype right now.) Often, they are intended to entertain their public, not educate or inform.

    That being said, I do think movies are art, and are a very American phenomenon. (I took a class through the art history department where we watched, discussed and wrote about Western films. It was a great class. It was awesome.) I think that we can learn a lot about our culture and see historical values through movies. But I think purpose should be a big consideration. I think movies can be art, but are often lean more towards aesthetically pleasing moving entertainment. Though many movies, 300 included, have a artist design aspect. If you watch the movie again, look at how artistic the color palette is.

    You got me thinking on that one! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete