Thursday, November 17, 2011

Facebook Dilemma


While reading this story, I obviously made a decision about what I would do. I think that the reporters followed all of the ethical rules that they needed to. Bailey asked to be her friend, was accepted though Del Rocco did not know her and even after identifying herself as a reporter, was not de-friended by Del Rocco. If they continued to protect her identity, I think the paper had every right to print this new information. But, then I realized that I am thinking about this story in today’s day and age. Today, assuming that the subject is in her 20s, I would print the story. Because, Del Rocco is old enough and has been involved with Facebook long enough to know that not everything on there is private. And that she is now talking to a reporter who can access all this information because she is her Facebook friend.  Basically, I think most 20 somethings today are aware and educated in the ways if the Internet and Facebook.
            But, I think the fact that this took place in 2009 could make a difference. I think that every year that we have the Internet and it becomes more proliferate in our homes, we become better users and understanders. I’m not sure 2009 is quite far enough back, but it is something to consider.

1 – I think one if the biggest responsibilities that Bailey has to Rocco is to identify herself as a reporter. Maybe I am too educated in the ways of journalism, but I think that you can assume people known, once you identify yourself as a reporter, that you are probably looking for information. Just because she declined being interviewed does not mean that all information about her is private. Even before the Internet there would have been ways to get more or similar information.

2 – I think most of this was pointed out in the story, but Bass needs to weigh how much harm this will cause her. As long as she cannot be identified, by information released in the posts and because the police report has not been released, I think they are ok to print the posts. Another thing to try would be to Google some text from her posts and see if it came up in a general search. That could change if you should print it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment